Things are looking up in Christchurch

Re:Start Mall in Christchurch

I must say that my first impressions of Christchurch weren't the best (probably because I decided that they won't be before even seeing it). It was a rather gloomy day: grey and cloudy and I got there quite late in the evening. It's only been 3 years since the devastating earthquake and the city is still picking itself up from the damage. To be fair, I expected it to be visible from the moment I got there but the drive from the station took us through nice parks and residential areas where very little damage was done. It changed quite a lot when we got to the centre though - most of it was a construction site with some buildings empty and abandoned, scaffolding and temporary structure being the main sight. There can be no doubt that the city has gone through a major disaster.



I've had 3 days off from being in the city and drinking coffee in insane quantities. Having only less than 4 hours in Christchurch I was desperate to get back on my coffee overindulgence.

I nearly cried on the way to C1 Espresso (@c1espresso), as located on the High St, it is in the middle of the worst devastation. I think that's why the joy of seeing it up and running, filled with people and bathed in the rays of the morning sunshine set such a powerful contrast. I had my last NZ breakfast there: poached eggs on a delicious cassava and sunflower toast (who knew? what a brilliant idea!) with avocado and roasted tomato on the side. My nostalgic mood continued as I was reminiscing on all of the wonderful places I had visited over the last 17 days to Lana del Rey moaning one of her miserable songs from the speakers. The lovely coffee did cheer me up though, as well as the certainty that I will be back in NZ very soon. I also couldn't dwell on it all too much as I was on a tight schedule to see 3 more places!

C1 Espresso

C1 Espresso main area

C1 Espresso outside


My second coffee in Christchurch was from the Caffeine Laboratory in the RE:Start Mall on Cashel St. Small and compact coffee stall in one of the colourful containers which form the mall serves some wonderful espresso-based drinks and seemed to have many regulars. It was a seriously good flat white and I immediately regretted that I don't have enough time to visit their shop on Blenheim Road.


Caffeine Lab stall at RE:Start MallCoffee machine at Caffeine LabCoffee at Caffeine Lab


All of the places I planned on visiting were in a close proximity from each other and by coffee no. 3 I felt like I was losing my momentum. Hopeful for a black coffee and slightly over-lactosed, I ventured to the Hummingbird Coffee only to discover that they only serve espresso-based drinks as well. (In fairness to C1, they do have a Chemex on offer, but knowing the quantities I was about to consume I didn't think I can handle it on my own), Resigned to a third flat white in the space of 1 hour I decided to take it on the chin and behave like a true coffee blogger: drink it now, regret it later. There was nothing wrong with the coffee, in normal circumstances I would've loved it but I must admit that I failed to finish it.

Hummingbird Coffee

Flat white at Hummingbird Coffee

View of RE:Start Mall, Christchurch


I had more luck at the Crafted Coffee Co (@CraftedCoffeeCo). To my relief they served filter coffee and their house blend went down very well (although, sadly, it was a decisive 'no!' to free re-fills). There is something oddly disturbing about sitting for a drink in a shipping container but I quite liked it - I had top to bottom windows on both sides and could watch the movement around me. As Crafted are based in the middle of the mall, there are shops on either side of their building and a lot of them were just opening - my favourite time for people watching. 

Crafted Coffee Co.Filter coffee at Crafted


All in all I left Christchurch on a positive note. I admire the determination of the people who are rebuilding it and not giving up on it. There is a real buzz as life goes on, coffee is drunk and new buildings rise. I'm excited to see what the new post-earthquake Christchurch will look like. There is enough great coffee being roasted around to keep the workmen going!

I was sad to leave New Zealand, the land of incredible coffee, lovely people and tremendous landscape. It was a journey I will not soon forget and I do hope that I can be back very soon as there is so much more to explore. As I waved goodbye to Auckland for the second time during this trip (sadly this time for a bit longer) I couldn't help but feel excited: this wasn't the end of my trip as I was flying to Melbourne for more coffee, (hopefully) sunshine and meeting friends.

Comments

Popular Posts