South African coffee scene - business (not) as usual

I must admit: my South African coffee scene investigation started off as a bit of a failure. Three shops closed for a 'well deserved holiday', one changed address...I felt slightly disheartened. Until I visited the selection below that is.

   

The Espresso Lab (@EspLabMicro) is located in a very hip and quite a London-like Old Biscuit Mill in Cape Town. After some disappointments over my coffee escapades thus far I half expected it not to be up and running but seeing the queue I knew instantly that I was in the right place: good coffee has that effect on people all over the world.

The shop itself is what it promises to be: a lab were some talented folk roast exquisite coffee. It is visible from the chemistry symbols on the wall relating to different types of coffee served, through the clinically white furniture and coffee tins to the chronicle flasks on the tables. And the coffee...the house espresso blend was a medley of Brazilian, Costa Rican and Ethiopian beans which resulted in a fruity and rich perfect cup of 'Pico'.


My second happy discovery was Lucky Bread (@LuckyBreadCo). I came across it completely by chance whilst strolling around the Brooklyn Mall in Pretoria looking for some last minute African souvenirs. One glance at their coffee machine and I could sense my kind of coffee. I wasn't wrong: after some horrendous experiences of instant 'coffee' during this trip, the espresso was like a glass of ice cold water on a scorching day. It was perfectly smooth and aromatic and instantly brought a smile to my face. ( Although the fact that the baristas were moving their hips to the sounds of Christmas songs might have had something to do with it as well...)

                

             

I also visited two coffee carts at the Neighbourgoods Market: Rosetta roastery (@RosettaCoffee) which only served filter coffee (perfectly decent) and Origin which quenched my thirst with its iced coffee.

 

So overall, despite the bad timing, I managed to sample some of South Africa's wares. I had some bad experiences which I won't mention, having to resort to instant powder not even remotely resembling coffee. I probably don't have enough scope to judge the entire SA coffee scene but I enjoyed every minute in the places I did manage to visit and I have even more reasons to go back, outside the holiday season.
One final thought: the South Africans don't tend to ask if your coffee is good, they ask if it is strong.

Comments

Popular Posts