Ground control aka the tale on grinding (coffee!)

I blame my family for introducing me to coffee. It is in my blood and I have been surrounded by it from a very young age. I can remember very vividly the smell that would wake my 3 year old self staying at my grandparents house over the summer. Freshly ground coffee used to punch me in the chest and grab me by the nose and, whilst I was still in a sleepwalk-like state, lead me to the source. I would then sit at the table dangling my feet off the chair and watch my granddad work his magic with his relic of the previous era - a Predom electric grinder bought with American Dollars in Pewex.

Image curtesy of www.pewex.pl
He would then proceed on to the making of his hellishly strong black coffee (served in a medium-sized glass with a little metal basket of a handle around it) in a moka pot. He wouldn't really talk much until the pot was on the stove and making familiar gurgling and hissing noises, indicating that the coffee will be ready soon and the world will regain its logic. Granddad is 88 years old now and has been, on multiple occasions, told that he should not be drinking coffee any more. Does he listen? Obviously not. He asks us to buy him ground coffee these days so there is less hassle with preparation but that aside, nothing has really changed. Well, maybe his moka pot got a bit more modern. It comes as no surprise then that my kitchen counter looks like this:


So I grind in my Krups burr grinder, I aeropress and I brew in the Bialetti Moka pot or press the button on a Nespresso machine when laziness strikes. And I write about it. And as you're reading it you know it too- once caffeine gets into your system, it won't let go. Don't try to fight it. Drink more good coffee.



Comments

Popular Posts