800 miles in search of a decent espresso

I knew one thing: the Poles like their coffee but they don't really mind what it tastes like. It's a strange notion - it's almost like we drink it out of habit rather than for pleasure. Nevertheless, I decided that things must have changed since I left the country over 6 years ago. Good coffee might not be easy to find in Poland but I was sure it existed.

I did my research of course and planned the holiday around my quest. I was disappointed to discover that there are not many coffee roasters around but managed to track down one (!) in Gdansk called Flemming cafe (http://www.flemming-cafe.pl/). Based in a very unassuming location, Flemming is tricky to find unless you know where to look. Crammed in a rather limited space are bags of coffee beans, the counter with coffee machine and different beans from all over the world, seating area, as well as the roasting machine itself taking (deservedly) the centre spot.

Our chat with the owner shed some light on the issue: why is the coffee so uncared for in this country? According to him, the answer is 'franchise'. Most cafes are given expensive coffee machines and in return they are bound to use certain kind or brand of coffee-most likely from the year before. Fleming, however, was as fresh as it gets, being roasted in front of us and we left with bags of Mexican, Ethiopian and Cuban beans as well as a reinstated confidence in the future of Polish coffee.


For their own benefit I will say nothing about the coffees we've had in some of the hotels and restaurants visited as I don't see the point in writing bad reviews.

My next successful stop was Afryka Coffee House (http://www.afrykacoffee.pl) in my home town - Wroclaw. The long menu gave us a choice of beans as well as preparation method. We settled for a Kenyan AA made in a cafetiere and really enjoyed its rich flavour with chocolatey notes. Afryka also sells coffee and equipment required to its making and serving.


Overall, I have faith. We're on the right track and there are some coffee geeks in Poland who really care about what they pour in their cups. I'm pleased with my research, not all is lost but it is likely to be a long journey before we reach an acceptable standard.



Comments

Popular Posts