In search on an exceptional Christmas blend...

The last couple of weeks were all about Christmas prep and trying different Christmas coffees on offer to choose the perfect blend for our Christmas table. There were some strong contenders, thanks to all who provided their recommendations on Twitter, but 2 of them stood out. 

First one is the Ozone Christmas blend (@OzoneCoffee) of beans from Guatemala, Brazil and Kenya.

Ozone Christmas Espresso Blend

Ozone Christmas Blend. Photo by My Daily Grind 




I put the roast through its paces and drunk it as a filter (I know, it's technically an 'Espresso Blend' but I love drip coffee too much not to have given it a go), espresso and flat white. I'm not convinced as to the Christmas nature of it - apart from the name and label, nothing invoked the warm fuzzy Christmas feel. It's a lovely blend, though, so here are my thoughts:

On the nose: pistachios

As a filter: nutty, delicate, inoffensive

As an espresso: toasted almonds

As a flat white: marzipan, coconut


My second batch to test was from Has Bean (@hasbean) who have been producing Christmas blends since 2007.

Has Bean Christmas Espresso 2014 Blend

A medley of Costa Rican, El Salvadorian and Kenyan beans, this is delightfully fresh and zesty number.


Has Bean Coffee. Photo by My Daily Grind

Has Bean Christmas Blend. Photo by My Daily Grind


As with Ozone, these beans have been through a lot: aeropress and machine, with milk and without. The smell of chestnuts filled the room when I first opened the packet and (as if I wasn't already!), made me very excited for Christmas. This could be a strong contender for an after (Christmas) dinner treat.

On the nose: chestnuts

As an espresso: berries and chocolate - very much like a Black Forest Gateau

As a flat white: Christmas pudding

I'm not done testing and as Christmas is a 12-day affair, I might be posting on the topic again in the run up to New Year. But for now:


Photo by Jean L.
Photo by Jean L.
 I hope they're filled with joy and exceptional coffee.

Comments

Popular Posts